If you are a You Own The Look subscriber, you have probably already discovered this fabulous jewelry line, as we have featured several of their pieces in our LookBooks! We absolutely love their pieces, as they are unique but still items you can seamlessly add to any neutral outfit without going over the top. We got the chance to chat with owner and designer of Mod + Jo, Jordan Flynn, to hear about how she made her dreams reality, and what inspires her. The most impressive part? She makes every.single.piece. by hand! We have a soft spot for ladies who decide no dream is too big and to reach for the stars, and Jordan is no exception! We can't wait to watch your brand continue to grow. Enjoy!
1. How did you get starting in making jewelry? - Ha! This is kind of a funny story. Seven years ago, as a broke college student who was obsessed with the holiday season, I didn't want to let my budget get in the way of my gift giving. I love making anything with my hands (and still do!), and was obsessed with the red string kabbalah bracelet trend that year. Though I am not Jewish, I loved the symbolism the talisman portrayed in warding off misfortune with the evil eye charm. So, with my next-to-nothing budget and my desire to give my girlfriends something meaningful for the holidays, I learned to make these symbolic bracelets and passed them around to all of my friends before the holiday break. They fell in love and began requesting more (as the poor construction didn't hold up so well). In turn, my hobby transformed into a small side project that has exceeded way beyond every expectation I've ever had.
2. Described a moment when your dream was starting to become a reality. I am currently living it this moment! I have taken a break or two from designing as other life moments too priority in the past (starting my career after college, buying a house with my now husband, etc.) However, I opened my (virtual) doors again late last year, and this spring I took a step back and reevaluated my style and brand. Who I am now versus who I was then - a college student making bracelets on the living room floor of my apartment - and as my style has changed, I felt my brand needed to reflect the same. I made the decision to rebrand my line and it was SO the right move for me. Mod + Jo has been growing faster than I ever anticipated and each day I think to myself, "Pinch me - this is actually happening!"
3. What do you feel like set you and your jewelry apart from others in the industry? Every item in the collection is handmade by me. From gold plating the details in pieces to hammering the texture of our best selling fringe earrings, I am the one contracting each piece that goes out the door to our customers.
4. What inspires you most when you are designing your pieces? As I love to follow upcoming trends and trying out new styles in general, I am mostly inspired by my recent travels. My husband and I have been fortunate enough to do a lot of travel over the past two years and I am always sketching my ideas in my iPhone notes while we're on our adventures so I can turn them into new designs once we get home.
5. What are you most looking forward to over the Christmas holiday? My husband and I are taking a trip to Australia and New Zealand over the holidays. It will be the first time for both of us so we're excited to explore a new country but I also can not wait to gather inspiration for Mod + Jo's Spring 2017 collection. Stay tuned!
If you haven't already, head to our Instagram page to enter a *GIVEAWAY* to win a $50 gift card to modandjo.com so you can pick out your favorite pieces from her line and make them your own! The winner will be announced this Friday, December 16th! In the meantime, here are a few of the pieces from her collection we are currently crushing on :)