We are so excited about the ‘blog’ portion of our site! We feel this is going to be a great avenue for our readers and subscribers to get to know us on a more personal level and also an outlet for us to share some great stuff with y’all! We have so many online retailers that we love and will showcase in our LookBooks, but we also want to feature some of our favorite artists, designers, and/or small businesses. The outlet we will use to do so is our “Favorite Things” segment of our blog. There are so many creative and talented people that we know and admire and we want to be able to share them with you all.
This week, we are excited to be featuring Susan Standeffer of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Susan is a jewelry designer and owner of SSD (Susan Standeffer Designs). Although Susan is a mom to 4 boys who are ALL boy, that has never put a stop to her fabulous sense of style and sassy flair. All of her pieces are handmade by her and one of a kind which is what we love the most about her work and also what makes it so special.
The variety of textures and colors she uses, make her pieces unique from other items from other designers and jewelry makers in the business. Not only does she offer a wide variety of colors and textures, she also offers a diverse selection of jewelry pieces in general. Whether it be a statement cuff, fun pair of earrings, or a cool leather choker that can be worn daily, Susan has something to offer for every outfit and every person.
We asked Susan a few questions about herself and about her work and here is what she had to say...
1. How did you get into designing and making jewelry? I had a piece of jewelry made when my first son was a baby and I remember how special that piece was to me and how much it meant, so I wanted to be able to give that feeling back to other women. Designing jewelry for women to enjoy has been a wonderful experience!
2. Where do you get your inspiration for making pieces? By observing life, playing with raw materials and colors, a specific outfit that needs accessorizing, or a personal story / customer.
3. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not making jewelry? Curling up in my favorite PJ’s at home with a book and my flavored iced coffee.
4. What has been the biggest challenge for SSD? Marketing myself, finding the perfect vendors, and learning how to run a small business.
5. What is your go-to look for this fall season? Distressed jeans, booties, and a cool sweater with an SSD choker, chunky cuff and tassel earrings.
6. What is the hardest piece to make? My new fish skin chokers. They aren't necessarily hard, but very time consuming. I glue 2 pieces of leather together, wait for them to dry, hand strip them into 1/2 inch pieces, measure length, make a hole at the end of each piece, add beads to the the leather ties then finally add the ties to the chokers. There's a lot of time that goes into each one, but I love the natural unique look - and so do my customers!
You can shop some of Susan's fabulous pieces below. Also check out her handmade chokers, featured in this week's LookBook under "Weekly Picks" - we can't get enough of them!